- What is Colonoscopy?
- What is the function of Colonoscopy?
- Before Colonoscopy, what do I need to prepare and pay attention?
- During the Colonoscopy, what do I need to cooperate for making procedure go smooth?
- After Colonoscopy, any follow-up or points to note for patients?
- What is the adverse effect(s) of Colonoscopy?
1. What is Colonoscopy?
Colonoscopy is the use of the endoscope, going into the lower digestive system through the patient's anus, rectum, sigmoid colon, descending colon, transverse colon, ascending colon, or cecum. Doctor can observe the internal status, to carry out examination, diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
2. What is the function of Colonoscopy?
The colonoscopy can check the patient's lower digestive tract, including anus, rectum, sigmoid colon, descending colon, transverse colon, ascending colon, cecum, and various parts of the colon internal situation. If patient is suspecting of suffering from the intestine diseases such as cancer, bleeding or with occult blood stool, change in bowel habits, chronic diarrhea or constipation, difficulty in defecation, etc, colonoscopy is advised to find out the causes of discomfort. During the colonoscopy, with the assistive devices, doctor can get a biopsy for further laboratory testing or treatment, such as removal of polyps.
3. Before Colonoscopy, what do I need to prepare and pay attention?
Points to note for patients before colonoscopy:
- Sign the consent form for receiving colonoscopy examination or treatment after well understanding with doctor’s explanation.
- Stop the iron supplement according to doctor’s instruction one week before the colonoscopy. Avoid high fiber food intake, such as fruits and vegetables. Administer the mild laxative medication under the doctor’s prescription.
- One day before colonoscopy, patient needs to have the colon cleansing with laxative drug which is prescribed by doctor. Meanwhile, patient can take the fluid diet only on that day until the colonoscopy examination
- Follow doctor’s instruction for arrangement of taking the chronic illness medication (diabetes, hypertension, or drug allergy).
- Follow the date, time and place for meeting the appointment of the colonoscopy.
4. During the Colonoscopy, what do I need to cooperate for making procedure go smooth?
Before start, doctor will inject appropriate amount of tranquilizers or analgesic drug intravenously to patients for reducing patient anxiety and pain. Patient is required to band the knee and lie on one side. The endoscope can go into the colon via anus smoothly. During the process, doctor can make appropriate measures for diagnostic or treatment, such as taking biopsy, removal of polyps or hemostasis Patient is staying awake. Generally, the examination takes around 30 to 60 minutes. Time may take longer for some complicated cases or the need of special treatment.
5. After Colonoscopy, any follow-up or points to note for patients?
After the colonoscopy, the patient may feel abdominal discomfort, but it will disappear shortly. If feeling abdominal pain, please let doctor know. For those who has been taken biopsy, or polypectomy, patient may find the little blood stain stool. If the bloody stool passed, please let doctor know immediately. Patient can go home with friends or relatives after doctor final assessment.
6. What is the adverse effect(s) of Colonoscopy?
Patients usually feel mild abdominal discomfort after colonoscopy, which is a normal and no need to worry. It can be disappear shortly and advice to take rest. Colonoscopy may cause perforation of the intestines, intestinal bleeding or some other complications, but is highly unlikely to occur.