- What is Gastroscopy?
- What is the function of Gastroscopy?
- Before Gastroscopy, what do I need to prepare and pay attention?
- During the Gastroscopy, what do I need to cooperate for making procedure go smooth?
- After Gastroscopy, any follow-up or points to note for patients?
- What is the adverse effect(s) of Gastroscopy
1. What is Gastroscopy?
Gastroscopy is the use of endoscope, going into upper digestive system through the patient's mouth, esophagus, into the stomach, duodenum and jejunum. The doctor can observe the internal status in order to carry out the examination, diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
2. What is the function of Gastroscopy?
By the use of endoscope, doctor can check the internal conditions of the upper digestive system (esophagus, stomach, duodenum and jejunum). If necessary, the doctor can perform some treatments as follow:
- Biopsy collection for lab test
- Removal of foreign body
- Varicose veins treatment
- Laser treatment
- Pyloroplasty for Pyloric Stenosis
- Inner lining hemostasis
3. Before Gastroscopy, what do I need to prepare and pay attention?
Points to note for patients before gastroscopy:
- Sign the consent form for receiving gastroscopy examination or treatment after well understanding with doctor’s explanation.
- Do not eat within 6 hours before the examination in order to avoid aspiration when inducing vomiting, and provide a clear vision view for gastroscopy.
- Follow doctor’s instruction for arrangement of taking the chronic illness medication (diabetes, hypertension, or drug allergy).
- Follow the date, time and place for meeting the appointment of the gastroscopy.
4. During the Gastroscopy, what do I need to cooperate for making procedure go smooth?
Firstly, doctor will give the anesthetic throat spray for local anesthesia. If necessary, relaxants or painkillers may be given intravenously to relieve the patient anxiety or stress. Patients should follow the doctor advice and gradually swallow the slender endoscope. Meanwhile, patient is able to breathe as usual. If keeping relax and cooperate, the whole procedure can be completed in minutes. Doctor can also get biopsy or specimen from the patient's stomach for laboratory test. Patient will not feel the pain under this process. Also for some other cases, doctor can treat the bleeding site in case it is found during the endoscopy.
5. After Gastroscopy, any follow-up or points to note for patients?
The throat anesthesia will last for about an hour after the endoscopy examination. Do not do the mouthwash immediately. Allow to drink or eat after at least 1 hour or doctor assessment. If patient has under the relaxant injection, he/she will forget some examination memory, so it is advised they should be accompanied by relatives or friends, to listen to the preliminary examination report and take care of patient when going home.
6. What is the adverse effect(s) of Gastroscopy?
Patients usually feel a sore throat, a small amount of flatulence and dizziness after gastroscopy, which will be subsided shortly. Gastroscopy may cause the stomach perforation, inner lining bleeding, but very rare to occur.